Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Books Vs. Online Vs. Kindle Vs. Me

"I don't like reading online, it hurts my eyes."
"It's easier to read books online, but it can be hard to find what I want to read."
"I love my Kindle/iPad/whatever portable book-reader I've got, but it was expensive."

All of you can crawl out of the rock you're living under, jump way up and bite the palest part of my lily white ass.

You know why I have stories online? Because it's the cheapest medium I've got to practice writing.

You know why I don't have more books published? Because the first book I self-published (via print-on-demand) hasn't sold SHIT.

You know why I don't "just get a publisher"? Because there are a MILLION people who want to be professional writers, some of them with degrees behind their names telling the world they paid THOUSANDS of dollars on an education (which I can't afford, by the way) that supposedly makes them better writers than I could ever even HOPE to be.

I don't give a fuck what you do or don't like. I'm writing because I enjoy it, and so do some of the people who have read it. If I can't publish a book, I'll put it online. If I can't make a million dollars via releases on Kindle, I'll do what I can to make sure people who enjoy my work have ACCESS to my work.

It's not as simple as "just go get a publisher" because for every thousand writers who ARE good, only a handful of them will ever get picked up by a publishing house, and only a handful of THOSE will ever get the publicity to "make it" as a writer. You don't think I've submitted my work to several dozen publishing houses? You're an idiot.

In short, there are only so many options, and I'm doing what I can. If it's not good enough for you, you're not good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment